Getting a Germany Visa is paramount if you ever wanted to attend Oktoberfest in Munich or visit Berlin for its cool fashion? Now you can explore the modern, yet equally historic, Germany, with this step-by-step guide on how to obtain a German visa (Schengen visa).
Your dreams of travelling to this iconic country can come true. We’ve simplified the visa application process, all that’s left to do is book your ticket and plan your itinerary for Germany.
Nigerian passport holders require a short-stay (German Schengen ) visa to visit Germany. Luckily it is a relatively straightforward process. You will need to apply at the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Lagos.
It is advisable to apply for your German visa at least 3-6 weeks before your departure date to allow for sufficient processing time (and to save yourself unnecessary stress).
Please check your eligibility before beginning the application process and submitting your application well in advance of flight departure. Once you have your visa, all that’s left to do is pack your bags
Germany Visa Types
- Tourist visa – For people who wish to explore Germany for pleasure, visit relatives, attend a summer school or a work seminar.
- Business visa – For people who plan to visit Germany for business.
Germany Visa Validity
A tourist and business visa is valid for stays of no more than 90 days within a six-month period in Germany. Successful German visa applicants will be able to leave and return to this Schengen state within this six months as long as the combined stay does not exceed 90 days.
Germany Visa Processing Time
The processing of a German visa takes approximately 10 working days. The process could take slightly longer if you’re required to submit additional documents. Be sure to hand in all required documents to allow for a smooth German visa process.
Germany Visa Documents Required
Make sure your passport meets the following requirements before you apply for a German visa:
- Your passport’s validity must extend the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months i.e. for a 90-day visa, your passport must be valid for an additional six months
- Your passport must have at least 2 blank pages
- It must have been issued within the last 10 years.
If your passport does not meet the above requirements, you will need to secure a new international passport before applying for a German visa.
Germany Visa Fees & Costs
The cost of a German Schengen visa is ₦25,376 ($70), since 2008.
Fees may be paid via cash or debit cards at the German Consulate in Lagos.
You are exempt from paying visa fees if you fit into the following categories:
- Children under six years.
- School pupils, undergraduates, postgraduates and teaching staff travelling to Germany for the sole purpose of study or educational training.
- Non-profit representatives aged 25 years or less partaking in seminars, conferences or activities including sports, educational or cultural events organised by non-profit organisations.
- Researchers from third-world countries travelling within Europe for the purpose of conducting scientific research.
Please note that Naira values are subject to fluctuate, according to the Euro/Naira exchange rate.
Germany Visa Requirements
Germany Tourist Visa Requirements
- A completed application form in English or German only.
- Two passport sized photos (45 mm x 35 mm) – must meet the Germany Schengen visa requirements.
- An international passport and copies of previous visas.
- Travel health insurance – a confirmation letter stating that you’re covered for medical treatment in Germany and the entire Schengen area.
- A cover letter detailing the reason for your visit to Germany and itinerary.
- Your flight itinerary with the dates and flight numbers specifying your entry and exit from Germany.
- Hotel booking for the entire duration of your intended stay in Germany.
- Proof of civil status (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse).
- Proof of sufficient funds for the duration of your stay.
- Bank statement of the last 6 months.
Germany Business Visa Requirements
How to Apply for Germany Visa
All Nigerian citizens applying for a German visa must book an appointment at the German Consulate in Lagos.
German Schengen Visa Application Form
- Book an appointment online
- Submit copies of your flight reservation and hotel booking with your application form
- Pay the visa application fee at the German Consulate in Lagos
- Provide your biometric information at the Consulate
- Upon approved visa application, you can collect your visa at the Consulate or use a courier service.
German Visa Consulate in Lagos:
|Address:||15 Walter Carrington CrescentVictoria Island
|Phone:||+234 280 9966|
|Hours:||08:00 – 18:00|
Once your German visa application has been processed, you may opt to have your visa sent to you via a courier service. Your passport and other documents can also be returned to you via a courier service. Please note that you are still required to go to the Consulate in person for your visa appointment.
- You can choose which courier company you wish to use.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to notify the courier company to collect the documents from the consulate.
- The German Consulate does not take responsibility for the delay or loss of any documents handled by the courier company.
Getting to the consulate
Taxis, buses and motorbike taxis are available to transport you to the German Consulate in Lagos. For those travelling by car, there is parking available at the entrance of the building.