You need a South African if you are Dreaming of journeying to South Africa to experience its incredible nightlife, wine farms and game parks? Now you can make this dream possible with informed guidance on how to obtain your South African visitor visa.
Applying for any visa can be an anxious task but with a step-by-step guide, you’ll have a stress free visa application experience. Follow this simplified guide and find out everything you’ll need for your visa application process. Soon you’ll be booking your ticket to South Africa.
Nigerian passport holders do require a visitor visa for South Africa, but it can be a smooth process with our help! You will need to apply at a VFS Global Centre branch in Abuja, Lagos or Port Harcourt.
Always apply for your South African visitor visa at least 4 weeks before you travel to allow for ample processing time (and to spare yourself some stress!)
Please check your eligibility before beginning the application process and submitting your application well in advance of flight departure. Once you have your visa, all that’s left to do is pack your bags!
South African Visa Types
- Visitors Visa – The visitors’ visa is primarily used for visiting family or vacationing for a short period of time. It is valid for a short period of time. It is valid for temporary stays of up to 90 days.
- Long Stay Visitor Visa – Best suited for foreign nationals to stay in South Africa for a period between 3 months and 3 years.
- Business Visa – The applicant’s motivation when applying for a business visa determines the duration for which the visa is valid. A business visa’s validity can range from 3 to 5 years.
South African Visa Processing Time
Processing time for each application can take a minimum of 6 working days. The processing time may vary as each application has to undergo an individual assessment.
South African Visa Collection
You can collect your visa at the respective VFS Global Centre. The visa application centre is open from Monday to Friday between 11am to 3pm, except on public holidays and over weekends.
You should bring along your receipt which you received on the day you submitted your application. You will be notified via SMS when your application has been sent to the South African Embassy on the submission day. You can track your South African visa application online.
South African Visa Fees & Costs
|Visa Fee in Naira (Inclusive of VAT)||Service Fee in Naira (Inclusive of VAT)|
|Short Term: Holiday Visa||₦8,600||₦25,470|
|Long Term: Business Visa||₦30,600||₦25,470|
Passport Courier Service Fee: ₦4,500 per passport.
Stay updated with the courier service fees on the VFS website.
The South African visa fee is subject to change without notice. It is based on the current exchange rate.
Applicants are to pay in cash at Bank Implant inside VFS Centre. Be sure to have a copy of the first page of your passport when paying the service and visa fee at the bank.
South African Visa Requirements
You will require the following documents for a visitor visa:
- A valid passport (validity of at least 30 days after the intended stay).
- Two identical passport size (45mmx45mm) photographs on white background showing your complete face.
- Application Form (BI84), fully completed in black ink only.
- Copy of passport data page as well as copies of existing visa and previously issued visas.
- Self-introduction letter with a physical address and phone number.
- Introduction/Recommendation letter from an employer, where applicable, signed with contact details.
- Verifiable hotel reservation/bookings – must be done directly with the hotels and not through third parties.
- Copy of international vaccination card (yellow fever card), fully completed by a health practitioner.
- Proof of financial status (six months recent bank statements) or financial support letter from employer with six months bank statements in a case where the employer is sponsoring the trip.
- Applicants travelling on official business should attach a letter of invitation/confirmation of training/conference, etc. from the relevant South African company with full details of the company’s authorised representative, physical address and phone numbers (landline number compulsory) must be included.
- Birth certificate for minors/children travelling with parents. Where applicable, a consent letter with copies of parents’ identification card/passport data page, which should be attached to the application.
- Marriage certificate where applicable and if the intended stay will be for more than 90 days
- Booking Verifiable Flight.
- Non-refundable visa fee of ₦8,600, excluding service fee.
- See the full checklist to ensure you have all the require documents. Documents required for a business visa can be viewed on the VFS website.
How to Apply for South African Visa in Nigeria
You can apply for your South African visa at VFS Global in Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt. All applicants must submit their applications in person at the application centres.
VFS Application Centre – Lagos
|Address:||Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, Opposite Treasure Garden EstateThird Roundabout, Lekki Phase I, Lagos|
|Contact:||+234 815 018 8800|
|Opening Hours:||Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 15:00|
There is a parking bay located outside the visa application centre. Motorbike taxis (okadas), buses and taxis are available to take you to the Visa Application Centre.
VFS Application Centre – Abuja
|Address:||No. 38, Lobito Crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja|
|Contact:||+234 81 5018 8800|
|Submission Timings:||Monday to Friday – 08:00 – 15:00|
You can find parking at the Big Bites eatery located nearby the visa application centre, or taxis are easily available for drop-off and pick-up.
VFS Application Centre – Port Harcourt
|Address:||Vineyard Shopping Centre, 88 Woji Road, GRA, Port Harcourt|
|Contact:||+234 81 5018 8800|
|Submission Times:||Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 15:00|
There is parking outside the Vineyard Shopping Centre. Buses, taxis and motorcycle taxis are available to get you to the VFS centre.
South African Visa Appointment
Each application centre accepts a set amount of application entries per day. Lagos accepts 230 applications, Abuja accepts 150 and Port Harcourt accepts only 20 applications. It is advised to get to the application centre as early as 7am in order to hand in your application in good time and avoid long queues.
South African Visa Application Tracking
You can track it where you made your application or online.